Built packages differing across platforms

I think I've finally got the magic together to build kernel module
packages in the lm-sensors debian/rules file.  This is kind of gross,
though, in my mind.  The exact packages that get built depend on the
architecture and the contents of the /usr/src/kernel-build-2.4.20
packages at build time; debian/control, as included in the source
package, contains information for the source package and the binary
packages that always get built.

"Just because I can do it, it doesn't mean it's a good idea."  Is this
*really* kosher?  I think this approach should work on every platform
where the kernel-build-* package exists, but it feels like I'm asking
for trouble if the autobuilders try to do something like grep
debian/control files in source packages to see which one provides
lm-sensors-2.4.20-386 and fail.  Opinions?

	-- Abra Mitchell