Re: kernel-image-2.4.19-i386-udeb-2.4.19

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 11:47:07AM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:22:04PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> > My preferred option is 3. However, by itself it is still not sufficient
> > as it kernel-image-2.4.19-386 fails to install when making the initrd
> > image (which ironically isn't even required). I ended up hacking
> > a simple /etc/fstab file to work around this.
>
> no, 1 or 2 are the correct solution, pbuilder don't need to know
> something about the packages to build.

I do not agree. Installing a new kernel may require rebooting the machine,
else you may have modules mismatch.
Now, do you want that to happen noninteractively?

In the pbuilder context, the modules installed are not the one used by the
kernel, so it is not a problem. But this is specific to chroot environment
which are not officially supported configuration, or else we need a mean
to tell packages they are installed in a chroot. In fact this is exactly
what do option 3) (or Herbert proposition) : tell the package that it is
not in a standard setup. So either change pbuilder or design a standard way
to query the 'chroot' status of a Debian install and send patches to the
relevant maintainers.

I think the solution is rather to not Build-Depend on a kernel package,
because you should be allowed to build package without chroot and without
installing a new kernel.  Now I do not know how to do that in this case.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

There is no record of the ballombe@debian.org package, and no bugs have been