Re: What should go into "How Software Producers can distribute their products directly in .deb format"?

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 06:06:41PM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > I'm interested in writing the "How Software Producers can distribute
> > their products directly in .deb format" manual, as listed on
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals.  I thought to write the
> > following, more or less:
>
> In the end it makes very little sense for a3rd party to provide debs.  The
> LSB requires rpm support only.  Personally I would be happy if they
> released a rpm for compliance and a tarball (binary or source as they
> wish) for everyone else.

This document would be good if anything, for the sole purpose of getting
.debs registered in software producers' heads. I also like it better if
I can get a .deb instead of a .rpm that I have to alienize or a tarball
that basically subverts the packaging system, and I don't see why we should
discourage people from doing .debs anyhow.

Aaron, as soon as you write something, send it over to -doc and it'll be
committed to CVS. (The lack of response on -doc was most likely merely
because nobody was disagreeing.)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.