Re: private debian pools

On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 12:03  pm, Scott James Remnant wrote:

I disagree that this is needed, not for any of the usual reasons, but
for the simple reason that this functionality already exists.

In part; it's not visible to the user, and it's not possible for a package to specify that it depends on a version of a package from a particular release/distribution/origin.

The namespace of an apt repository is its URL, and any information
available in a "Release" file at that URL.

Which is inadequate; how do you tell whether the following lines access the same
distribution?

deb http://debian.lemon-computing.com/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.otago.ac.nz/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

I imagine the problem you had was that the system had all the Ximian
GNOME debs installed, and you wanted to use those from Debian instead.
That could have been easily solved by putting the following in
/etc/apt/preferences:
	Package: *
	Pin: release o=Debian
	Pin-Priority: 1000

	Package: *
	Pin: origin ftp.ximian.com
	Pin-Priority: -1

In effect, "Debian packages can force a downgrade of anything, do not
consider Ximian packages for installation at all"

This is great, but it doesn't enable *packages* to specify what they need. Which is where the logic needs to be, if we really want to avoid problems.

If we promote the use of third-parties using Release files, they would
set the "Origin:" tag to something useful to them, perhaps in Ximian's
case "Ximian".

All the functionality you want is already there!

Some, but not all.

Cheers,

Nick