Re: man page with standard gnome options

Hello Hamish,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:23:22PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Is there a manual page which describes standard GNOME command line
> options? I wish to write a manual page for a gnome program I maintain
> (gmfsk) which accepts only the standard options. I assume there is
> another page that I can refer the reader to for those.

I think such a manual page would make sense, it would be good if we
had one.  Actually I just now wrote such a page ;-)  I append the result
to this mail.

I would be glad if you would try to get this into one of the gnome
packages for me.  Would you?  I think "gnome-core" would be the
appropriate package.  Maybe some native speaker of English should
proofread this first.

I hope this helps,
Jochen
--
                                         Omm
                                      (0)-(0)
http://www.mathematik.uni-kl.de/~wwwstoch/voss/privat.html
.\" gnome-options.1 - Standard Command Line Options for Gnome Programs
.\" Copyright 2002  Jochen Voss <voss@debian.org>
.\" You may redistribute and modify this manual page
.\" under the terms of the GPL.
.TH gnome-options 1 "2002-10-20" "GNOME 1.4" "Gnome User's Manual"
.SH NAME
gnome-options \- Standard Command Line Options for Gnome Programs
.SH SYNOPSIS
.IR "program " [ "standard options" "] [" "specific options" "] " arguments
.SH DESCRIPTION
This manual page describes the command line options, which are common
to all Gnome applications.
.SH OPTIONS
.SS GNOME options
.TP
\fB\-\-disable\-sound\fR
Disable sound server usage
.TP
\fB\-\-enable\-sound\fR
Enable sound server usage
.TP
\fB\-\-espeaker\fR=\fIHOSTNAME\fR:PORT
.IR Host : port
on which the
.B esd
sound server to use is running.  This is useful if you simultaneously
run programs on several machines.
.TP
\fB\-\-version\fR
Show the applications's version information.
.SS Help options
.TP
\fB-?\fR, \fB\-\-help\fR
Show this help message.
.TP
\fB\-\-usage\fR
Display a brief usage message.
.SS GTK options
.TP
\fB\-\-gdk\-debug\fR=\fIFLAGS\fR
A colon-separated list of GDK debugging flags to set.
This only works if your GDK library
was compile with debugging support.  Valid flags are
.IR events ,
.IR misc ,
.IR dnd ,
.IR color-context ,
and
.IR xim .
The special value
.I all
enables all valid flags.
.TP
\fB\-\-gdk\-no\-debug\fR=\fIFLAGS\fR
A colon-separated list of GDK debugging flags to unset.
Use this options to override the
.I GDK_DEBUG
environment variable.
.TP
\fB\-\-display\fR=\fIDISPLAY\fR
Set the X display to use.  Use this option to override the
.I DISPLAY
environment variable.
.TP
\fB\-\-sync\fR
Make X calls synchronous.  This slows down the program considerably,
but may be useful for debugging purposes.
.TP
\fB\-\-no\-xshm\fR
Don't use X shared memory extension.
.TP
\fB\-\-name\fR=\fINAME\fR
Program name as used by the window manager.
.TP
\fB\-\-class\fR=\fICLASS\fR
Program class as used by the window manager.
.HP
\fB\-\-gxid_host\fR=\fIHOST\fR
.HP
\fB\-\-gxid_port\fR=\fIPORT\fR
.HP
\fB\-\-xim\-preedit\fR=\fISTYLE\fR
.HP
\fB\-\-xim\-status\fR=\fISTYLE\fR
.TP
\fB\-\-gtk\-debug\fR=\fIFLAGS\fR
A colon separated list of GTK+ debugging flags to set.
Valid flags are
.IR objects ,
.IR misc ,
.IR signals ,
.IR dnd ,
and
.IR plugsocket .
The special value
.I all
enables all flags.
.TP
\fB\-\-gtk\-no\-debug\fR=\fIFLAGS\fR
GTK+ debugging flags to unset.  Use this options to override the
.I GTK_DEBUG
environment variable.
.TP
\fB\-\-g\-fatal\-warnings\fR
Make all warnings fatal.
.TP
\fB\-\-gtk\-module\fR=\fIMODULE\fR
Load an additional Gtk module.
.SS GNOME GUI options
.TP
\fB\-\-disable\-crash\-dialog\fR
Disable the crash dialog, which is normally shown when the application
segfaults.
.SS Session management options
.TP
\fB\-\-sm\-client\-id\fR=\fIID\fR
Specify session management ID.  Only used by the session manager itself
while restarting the application.
.TP
\fB\-\-sm\-config\-prefix\fR=\fIPREFIX\fR
Specify prefix of saved configuration.
.TP
\fB\-\-sm\-disable\fR
Disable connection to session manager.
.SH "SEE ALSO"
For most GNOME programs there will be additional command line options,
which are specific to the program.  These will be explained in the last
part of the
.I --help
output and in the application's online help.
.SH AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jochen Voss
<voss@mathematik.uni-kl.de>.  A first verstion was generated with the
help of the
.I help2man
program.  The program's output was manually edited later.