Re: Need help with bug#130805 (crash on Sony Vaio laptops)

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 15:25, Jochen Voss wrote:
> > >     4) Run the command "/usr/sbin/MAKEFLOPPIES -g"
> >
> > I don't have a USB floppy drive so I can't test this,
>
> Actually you can.  The problem occurs when no floppy drive
> is attached.  Do you think the USB hard locks could occur
> nevertheless?  I would be glad if you could try the
> MAKEFLOPPIES call as described above.

With the fdutils from stable (the install went fine, too):

greyskull:/home/piman# /usr/sbin/MAKEFLOPPIES -g
Creating "/dev/fd0", ID=0, Type=4 (1.44M)
Creating "/dev/fd1", ID=1, Type=2 (1.2M_AT)
Drive 2 is not installed or not configured, skipping
Drive 3 is not installed or not configured, skipping
Drive 4 is not installed or not configured, skipping
Drive 5 is not installed or not configured, skipping
Drive 6 is not installed or not configured, skipping
Drive 7 is not installed or not configured, skipping
greyskull:/home/piman#

Which looks like it worked fine. My kernel is
2.4.19-acpi20020821-memstick, and the memstick patch is totally trivial,
so any difference between this and a stock 2.4.19 kernel's behavior is
1) the ACPI patch, or 2) the laptop hardware.

My particular model is a Sony Vaio GRX570. USB devices I had enabled at
the time were the memory stick and a USB mouse. Sound was playing at the
time, and continued playing without skipping.

It sounds like the same problem I had with IRQs conflicting, which the
ACPI patch fixed. I don't have a kernel handy without ACPI support, so I
can't boot into it to test it there (and I probably wouldn't want to
anyway... I don't like the thought of improperly configured PCI
interrupts on my system).

Oh, one other thing - my kernel complains about IRQ addressing when it
boots up, and says something like "maybe boot with pci=pciirq?" It lies
- that made more thing stop working for me, with or without ACPI
patches. You can try booting with "pci=acpiirq" after you install the
patch, which uses ACPI to do the IRQ allocation if possible (and if not,
it goes back to the default allocation scheme). So, if you listened to
the kernel and you're booting with pci=pciirq, don't. :)

HTH.
--
 - Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>  -  http://www.sacredchao.net
  "What I did was justified because I had a policy of my own... It's