Re: new maintainter process [was: Re: Orphaning my packages]

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 12:44:08PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
[snip]
> The DAMs are not, in my opinion, entitled to keep their own counsel
> about why they refuse to approve a new-maintainer applicant who has
> passed all the other checks, by "losing them in the system" for several
> months.  At the very least, the applicant's AM should be informed of
> this, and the applicant's status should be placed "on hold".  In most
> cases, I doubt extreme discretion is warranted, and the reason for the
> applicant being placed on hold should be publicly viewable at
> nm.debian.org.
[snip]

Seconded.

I understand the DAMs may be busy, waiting for verification, suspicious,
or whatever; but this information *should* be public. I don't think people
are so much whining about having to wait; I think the problem is that
people don't know *why* they are waiting. If the DAMs have concerns, etc.,
they should at least indicate so instead of keeping quiet. Even a note
somewhere on nm.debian.org saying "On hold, DAM is busy" is better than
just quietly letting the application sit without a reason. It's one thing
to tell an applicant, e.g., "you're on hold because I need to verify your
credentials", or "your application appears to need special processing
which I'll get round to later", than to effectively ignore the
application.

And I agree that if the DAMs have any concerns about any application, they
should make it public, or at least semi-public, either by posting to
-private or -newmaint or some other dedicated forum, optionally accessible
only to developers. Understandably, there may be legitimate concerns, but
just as we don't withhold information on security problems and potential
security with Debian, the DAMs shouldn't withhold information about why an
application is stalling.

Again, I don't see the problem as people waiting for approval; I think the
real problem is that people don't know *why* they are waiting. I believe
applicants have a right to know why their application is stalling.

Just my $0.02.

Fact is stranger than fiction.