Re: How to package device files?

Steve Haslam <araqnid@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 05:33:22PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> I'm also confused about the chicken/egg issue when using devfs.
>> My driver module gets loaded when somebody opens a device file.
>> If devfs device files are created at the request of driver
>> modules, how do they get autoloaded in the first place?

> aiui devfsd can load a module when an attempt is made to access a
> device node that doesn't exist, a la autofs.

Hello,
Hmm, according to the manpage devfsd only manages the symlinks for the
"classic" names (/dev/hda -> ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc), the
modules are automatically loaded by kmod, using alias-definitions like
alias /dev/hdd ide-cd

Debian's package of devfsd come with great pre-configuration,
switching to devfs is not much work.
           cu andreas