Re: Wishlist for woody+1

In article <[🔎] 20020525143339.GA26121@bombadil.xmldesign.de>,
Erich Schubert  <erich.schubert@mucl.de> wrote:
>I've put together a wishlist for woody+1...
>http://people.debian.org/~erich/woody+1/

How about:

- package o xfree 4.2
          o gcc 3.1
          o gnome 2.0
          o 2.4.19 kernel with VM fixes (aa or rmap)
          o mozilla 1.0
          o all other important, big packages that just released
            or are about to release a major new version
- don't change *anything else*
- release 2 months after woody

.. so that for the first time, we'll have a 'stable' debian release
that has somewhat current software, and not 1-2 year old software.

For example, abiword in woody is now version 0.99.3+cvs.2002.04.04-1,
which is buggy as hell, while 1.0.1 has been released!

I know I can just point sources.list to 'unstable', and I do that,
but it's almost impossible to explain to an outsider why Debian
releases with so many ancient and/or broken packages.

Mike.
--
"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."
  - R.D. Lang