Re: Wishlist for woody+1

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 16:33:39 +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> - init reworking (support for alternative inits)

Move as many things out of rcS.d as possible, please. For example, the
default configuration makes it impossible to have a runlevel without
networking because networking stuff like mountnfs and ntpdate is placed
in rcS.d. I cannot understand this. Take a look at bug #134650 to see
another problem, which is impossible to solve for the NIS maintainer.

When a system has a boot-failure I always have to use an emergency disk
because booting into S makes no sense since the problem arises in rcS.d
in most cases. And there is no less than S to boot into.

Martin