Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Monday 20 May 2002 16:50, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > > what a user installing a Debian GNU/linux, Debian GNU/Hurd,or  Debian
> > > *BSD, want to see is not only a Debian distribution, (ie: common tools
> > > to administate it, common policy on where the files belongs)
> > > but he also want to use a different os, (or what would be the interrest
> > > to have different os then...),
> >
> > No. The operating system in general is still Debian, whereas the kernel,
> > the C library, or whatever else, is different.
>
> It's that everybody I know has another definition of operating
> system. Pointless discussion unless people give their defintion of
> operating system. Then you can start a discussion about what the

Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. An operating system
is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run.
Debian uses the Linux kernel (the core of an operating system), but most of
the basic OS tools come from the GNU project; hence the name GNU/Linux.

http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=Operating+system&action=Search

> ultimate definition for everybody is, but that doesn't exist, so
> that's pointless too. The only thing I wanted to make clear is that
> GNU/Hurd is very different from GNU/Linux and we should treat is as
> something different.

Right on. Regarding performance Linux and *BSD kernels beats the panths of
Hurd/Mach, and I suspect that Linux 2.6 (3.0) and 5.0-RELEASE will "blow the
door out", because of the critical parts of the system runs in kernel space
and because of the design. There are people who do not care about your
arbitrary runnable hurd servers, please realize that !

> > > and they are some specificities that can't be avoided
> >
> > I don't see how could he have been talking about the differences that
> > can't
>
> Practically impossible. If you want to turn GNU/Linux in something
> which can run Hurd servers, your pretty close to a GNU/Hurd system
> with a Linux microkernel. No point in discussion whether this is
> pratical or not here, I suggest you go to some Linux mailinglist if
> you want to run Hurd servers on Linux. :P

There is a Linux microkernel project, but how many users care about it. Try
to convince BSD people to run their critical parts of the system outside the
kernel space (like root fs driver, etc).

I guess it is more important to think of Woody, not Hurd.

--
Greets,
fr33zb1