Re: where do NEW packages go?

Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
>
> > > One has to prove they can follow the current standard, before attempting to
> > > change.
> >
> > Could you please give me the standard describing how to port Debian to
> > another operating system? I couldn't find it, but of course I'm just a
> > random fool and you're God, so you can probably give me the url.
>
> There is none, and you know it.  That has nothing to do with what I said.
>
> The current standard is how Debian functions.  hurd should be molded to fit
> Debian, not Debian molded to fit hurd.  Modifying Debian to work with hurd,
> means that *ALL* other ports of Debian need to be modified.  Is that what you
> really want?  Can you honestly suggest this course of action?

Whilst Debian Policy is very good, I don't think that it is perfect
yet.  I'm sure that there are some things that Hurd or the BSDs do
better, and it might be worth adopting them on their technical
merits--to benefit all of the Debian ports.

As I have said in another thread, I think that adopting libexec might
be a good idea, but I would rather that this was adopted as the right
descision technically than mindlessly following standards.  If the
cost of the change is not worth the gains, it will not be worth doing.
The GNU Coding Standards are important, but are not as important as
Policy.  It would be worth seeing if there was any value to
reconciling the differences though.

Any changes will take time and effort, but if Debian will be a better
system as a result, then it will be for the best.

I'm neither a BSD or Hurd user (yet), but I don't think that what they
do differently should be ignored out of hand.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh