Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

Thomas Bushnell, BSG@lists.debian-devel@08 May 2002 09:23:29 -0700:
>  Actually, we do know why other systems have it.  Do you?

The reason I know is for emergencies.. So that /usr/ can be on a
different fs so you can boot without mounting it (when it's damaged) and
fix things because all you really need (which isn't much then) is
outside /usr/..

AAMOF I have one large / because I don't care about booting from CD to
do recovery.

Also, a separate /usr/ would be very handy on The Hurd which, after all,
doesn't even support >1GB partitions.. You really want as many
partitions as possible then. ;-)

--
| lintux : :'  :  lintux.cx |  |       Today's random quote:       |