Re: libreadline

On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 05:22, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Distributing a package that *does* this is in violation of the GPL; that
> is, we cannot legally distribute a python script that calls both 'import
> socket' and 'import readline'.  But we allow users to do many things
> that we ourselves cannot: a user is free to create such a script on his
> local machine, and he is free to call 'import socket' from the python
> IDE.

That raises an interesting point. When I asked on debian-legal, the
question was phrased as "What if a program (lets say it has a new bsd
license) is linked against both libreadline and openssl. Would this be
ok?". The answer was No.

However, now I realize I meant to ask a slight different question "What
if a ***package***(lets say it has a new bsd license) is linked against
both libreadline and openssl. Would this be ok?"

I wonder if the answer is still the same?
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>