Re: rsync and debian -- summary of issues

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 01:15, Martin Pool wrote:
> There seems to be a thread about rsync and Debian packages every
> couple of months.  I've written up a document which tries to cover all
> of the questions and debates.  It's pretty informal, but hopefully
> will be useful.
>
>   http://rsync.samba.org/rsync-and-debian/
>
> I'd appreciate comments.

Thanks for all your hard work on rsync.  I think it is a great tool.
I'm especially excited to hear it is used in Intermezzo.  I like your
rsync/debian web page.

I have two comments:

I feel you aren't fair to diff (in Section 2.1).  For example, I diffed
two Packages files, and then compressed the diff.  I also computed the
xdelta of the files.  The compressed diff was smaller (by 10%-20%).
Since the xdelta code is based on rsync, it seems that diff does pretty
well compared to rsync.

Also, in section 3.15, you say, "Fetching a series of deltas which
update the same area is less efficient than calculating the deltas
directly."  This is true, but by my computations, the number of packages
which change more than once in a month is 300, which require about 30K
of wasted bandwidth.  Rsync uses a similar amount of bandwidth sending
checksums back and forth, if I'm not mistaken.

Best,
Rob