Re: If you care about debian's security read this

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 07:25:39PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:

>  - restrict what commands the user can execute as root

> Gnome-sudo provides a GUI to all but the last feature.  If you care
> about the last feature, don't grant your users access to gnome-sudo.

A lot of the problem here looks like the fact that for a lot of people
(including Gustavo, apparently) this last feature is the major reason
for using sudo rather than handing out the root password or using some
other su-without-passwd mechanism.

> It's called a "security model".  Go off to a security search engine and
> do some reading.  Here's another hint, in case that little discussion
> doesn't clue you in: Everyone's security needs are different.

I can see how somoene might expect that a program called gnome-sudo
might implment the same feature set as sudo (which is not to say that
failure to do so is a release critical bug by any strech of the
imagination).