Re: Trying to fix slang

Glenn Maynard <g_deb@zewt.org> cum veritate scripsit:

> > I've read the source, and I think non-UTF8 version has support for
> > locales that are not UTF8.
>
> The UTF8 one should support non-UTF8 locales, too.  If it doesn't, this
> should probably be considered a bug, though it might be one too
> complicated to fix right now.

I've checked it. It doesn't. I told you.

> The only problem I've seen is mutt-utf8 not displaying line drawing
> characters properly in non-UTF8 locales.  I havn't used it that way
> extensively, however.

Then you haven't used it enough.
Non-utf locale != ISO8859-1.

There are many locales out there which is not ISO8859-1,
and are incompatible with UTF-8.

> Looking at it quickly, I see:
>
> +/* dancer@debian.org, check for UTF8 flags */
> +@DEBIANUTF8ERRORCHECK@ UTF8
> +#error "UTF8 symbol does not match slang UTF8 status"
> +#endif
>
> Programs shouldn't need to #define UTF8 explicitely just because they're
> linking against the UTF8 version of slang.  I'd just #define UTF8
> automatically.  (But #undef it at the end if it's not the slang library
> itself, or rename it to something better like SLANG_UTF8.)

It currently does, and that is why many are broken,
and that is why I added a check. If programs aren't doing it
like that currently, then they are bound to fail.

It is not possible to #define and #undefine UTF8.
How do I handle cases when UTF8 is already defined?

> > I don't really care about converting every program to
> > UTF8, or making new slang1 package that is binary incompatible with upstream
> > versions and every other distribution, or whatever else.
>
> You don't care about any possible solutions other than this one?  Your
> solution is the *obvious* one; there must be something less obvious
> holding up such a fix, or it would probably have been done long ago.
>
> I'm not suggesting converting any programs to UTF8, I'm just offering
> alternatives.

I am telling you that no one seems to have bothered to fix this
particular problem sufficiently for a while although it
has been broken like this for 4 months.

Please, there are many bugs in the base system, and
standard system. Fix them.

Fixing the slang library is the task of the upstream,
Debian needs to do the integration part.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4