Re: debian on distrowatch

On Sunday 27 January 2002 05:13, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on Distrowatch there are 2 Distreibutions labeled as "Free". For Debian you
> name a price of $10. This looks wrong to me.

OK, I will change that. The idea was to compare prices for those visitors who
are interested in buying official "boxed" products. Debian does not seem to
have one (correct me if I am wrong, because I bought an O'Reilley package
some time ago, complete with their book and a nice big Debian sticker). I did
see some vendors selling Debian CDs for about US$10 and that is the reason
for the figure. If the consensus on this mailing list is to say "Free" here,
I will oblige. It does actually sound more fair. Just please note that there
is another row called "Free Download", which basic tells the users that the
product is also available for free if you have the bandwidth or the patience.

> Also the Origin of Debian is not "USA". You can say "World" or "Internet".

I was aware of the very international nature of the Debian project.
Nevertheless, it seems a trend that many Linux distributions have world-wide
contributors and employees nowadays, so I don't think it is fair to say that
Debian is "Internet", while claim that Red Hat is all American or that
Mandrake is all French. What I am looking for here is more like a central
management or decision-making authority. If this is located in the USA, than
I would rather state it, even at the risk of not being completely accurate.
Otherwise I might just omit this row completely, since most projects are
international anyway, at least to a certain degree.

> Debian has more than 1 CD.

The pages say - CDs: 5. Or do I have an incorrect value some place I missed?

> I am not sure if KDE is the default Desktop, but AFAIK Gnome is equally
> well supported. I dont know how good the Asian Language Support is
> considered to e part of the Distribution, but there is defintely some.

I get email about this every now and then saying: "There is no default
desktop in Debian, you can choose whichever desktop you prefer." This is true
in most distros and only a few force you to accept one desktop. What I am
referring to here is this: What happens if you do not select any desktop,
what will you end up with? I installed Woody recently and, while I cannot
recall exactly where one makes that decision, I did not specifically choose
any and ended up with Gnome; I think it is where you choose your X packages
in dselect. Some defaults are already checked there. Please correct me if I
am wrong - I play with (too) many distributions.

> A send a Copy to debian-devel for comments of other developers on the parts
> i am not sure about.

Feedback is much apreciated. I try to make the effort of keeping the tables
as accurate as possible, but I maintain the site as a hobby in my spare time
(in the true Debian spirit), so mistakes do sometimes creep in. I am still
working on a central database (MySQL) to replace the current HTML tables, so
the data management will get much easier, eliminating many typos. If you find
any errors, please let me know - thank you very much.

Hyperlinks to the relevant pages:
http://www.distrowatch.com/major.php
http://www.distrowatch.com/top.php
http://www.distrowatch.com/debian.php