Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 11:48:03AM +0000, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> (Final?) proposal:
>
> (1) Documenting locales.alias man page, saying don't add non-ASCII
> elements. In fact, preferably don't add any. Explain why.
>
> (2) 'locale -a' displays only usable aliases; none that can't be
> displayed in the current locale or don't have correct locales generated.

Suggested change: don't display any with the high bit set, ever.  If
these are used, they're just leftover, broken configurations; I don't
think there's much point to displaying them.  As often as not, we simply
can't tell that they're in another encoding, and we're better off not
displaying them at all than displaying them wrong.  So,

2: 'locale -a' displays only usable, 7-bit ASCII aliases, and not aliases
with non-ASCII characters or with no generated locale.

--
Glenn Maynard