Re: A suggestion for the woody freeze

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Joey Hess wrote:

> John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> > i don't think most people are aware of all the things that touch and
> > affect boot-floppies, and it is perhaps unreasonable to assume that each
> > maintainer _should_ be aware that they affect boot-floppies.
>
> And I still must disagree, I think that not being aware of or not caring
> about the boot floppies is the root cause of many of the problems
> debian-boot has to deal with, and they're too important to debian to not
> give them every consideration one can.

I'm perhaps repeating myself:

One thing I dislike at how the freeze currently works is that to enter the
next stage of the freeze boot-floppies must be in a releaseable state -
but neither boot-floppies nor the packages it depends on will be frozen
before the next stage of the freeze.

It would IMHO become much easier if we would freeze packages _before_ we
work on getting them into a releasable state - I'm currently more and more
becoming a fan of the "freeze all packages at the same time" approach
because then all of these problems are no longer present.

cu
Adrian