Re: Stop it

on Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:57:46PM -0800, Philip Brown (phil@bolthole.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:14:04PM -0600, Bryan Andersen wrote:
> > It may be the page needs to be rewritten from the standpoint
> > of speaking to an external viewer rather than to the system's
> > administrator.
>
> Exactly.
>
> How about something a little simpler to take in, even for those of IQ less
> than 90:
>
> <HTML>
>
> <CENTER>
>
>   <BLINK><FONT SIZE=+5> This web server is not fully
> configured!!</BLINK></FONT>
> </CENTER>
>
> <P>&nbsp;<P>&nbsp;<P>
>
> This is the default initial page of a Debian web server. The administrator
> should now install a more appropriate initial index page.
>
> </HTML>
>

> [and a big ha-ha for all those people who read email in a web browser, and
> have flashing things triggered. be glad I didnt put in javascript! ]

Traipsing along late...

You've used three nonstandard HTML elements in that little demo:
<CENTER>, <FONT>, and <BLINK>.  The first two are deprecated and should
be replaced with CSS, structural tags (I'd pick <H1> rather than a <FONT
size="value">), and AFAIK, <BLINK> was only ever implemented in Netscape
and Mozilla.

With my default user stylesheet, what you've just presented would be
displayed as normal, nonblinking, centered, text.

Better:  <h1><strong>text</strong><h1>

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org