Re: [The good, the bad and] The Ugly -- the cosmetic rant

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 07:52:49PM +0100, Gergely Nagy wrote:

> Quoting from debian/rules:
>
> ,----
> | configure: configure-stamp
> | configure-stamp:
> | 	dh_testdir
> | 	# Add here commands to configure the package.
> | 	./configure --prefix=/usr
> | 	touch configure-stamp
> `----

> ,----
> | # Build architecture-independent files here.
> | binary-indep: build install
> | # We have nothing to do by default.
> `----

These both are verbatim from the output of dh_make.  You could
file a bug there, but the maintainer would probably agree with
me that more comments in debian/rules is better than fewer.  You
could also suggest a rule for lintian that complains about
dh_make-like constructions in rules, similar to what it does
for debian/copyright and others.  I actually changed the format
of a perfectly good debian/copyright file to make lintian shut
up.

Perhaps the people responsible for these apparently bugless and
lintian-clean packages are now fixing real bugs.

dave...  (whose packages all have the aforementioned cosmetic issues)