Re: What will one find in newly released Debian Woody 3.0 ???

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Grzegorz Prokopski wrote:

> Simon Law wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Grzegorz Prokopski wrote:
> >>- improved package system managment (some more here needed)
> >>    - apt-get package ;-)
> > 	. apt pinning.  Stay on stable while you get unstable packages.
>
> I must say I really do NOT understand what You mean.
>
> Would You elaborate on this ?
> Or anyone else about new features in package managment ?
> URLs are also greatly appreciated ;-)

	I am at a loss to explain how pinning works.  The best way to
understand is to read apt_preferences(5).

	Err...  Let me try anyway:

	You can choose which version of Debian from which to pull a
package.  For example, you are running future-stable (woody) and you
want to pull a package from sid.  You just type:

	apt-get --target-release unstable install kde3

and APT will only get what it needs to meet the kde3 dependancies, and
not update EVERYTHING.