Re: wonderful day! (2 FHS transitions complete in one upgrade)

Santiago Vila wrote:
> Comment 2: I already told everybody that we could stop requiring
> symlinks the day after potato release, and we would have a completely
> *really* empty /usr/doc now, but nobody believed me...

Well maybe we were naively believing some projections that had woody
released already.

Anyway, that would have made the whole woody development process happen
on a system where you had to look in both /usr/doc and /usr/share/doc to
find documentation, with it randomly being in one, the other, or both
places. It would have inflicted this on anyone who even partially
upgraded to woody. As I recall, these were some of the reasons this idea
was rejected before.

> Comment 3: I don't understand why people insist that base-files should
> do such and such (the proposal approved by the TC speaks about this in
> terms of "we could even make base-files do this and this", but not as a must).

The proposal was written before certian members of debian got all anal
about "MUST", "SHOULD", and "MAY".

> Packages should stop creating symlinks in either case, and that's enough
> for having an empty /usr/doc directory. If you want the process to go
> faster, you can always remove the symlinks yourself if it bothers so much.

Or some package could have a relatively simple program added to it that
would finush the transition instantly. It't taken 2 years to make
/usr/doc be full of symlinks, I don't relish 2 more years of the
symlinks gradually disappearing, myself.

Anyway, FWIW, the next version of alien will handle producing packages
with FHS-compliant /usr/share/doc, /usr/share/man, and /usr/share/info,
from whatever non-compliant packages are fed into it.

--
see shy jo