Re: unreproducable, but grave bug

Scott Dier <sdier@debian.org> writes:

> It's not bad to discuss bugs with DD's, just dont expect them to do
> wonders when they package the software, not write it.

A Debian developer should not close a bug just because fixing the bug
is beyond his capabilities or ability to spend time on it.

Too many developers seem to think it's some kind of "black mark" if
they have lots of outstanding bug reports on their packages, and so
they try and close bug reports on the grounds that the bug has been
reported upstream, or even on the grounds that it's not their fault!

The BTS is not a way to assign praise or blame.  Having a bug open
does not mean something is the developer's fault.  Bug reports should
stay open until the bug is fixed.

As for unreproducable bugs:

If a bug is real, the report should stay open whether or not the bug
is reproducable.  Mere unreproducability is not enough to close a bug
report--though it might well be a perfectly good reason to not fix the
bug, because it's just too hard to figure out.

"I can't fix this bug" and "I don't want to fix this bug" and "This
bug was not my fault"--these are all good reasons not to fix a bug.
But they are never reasons to close a bug report.

Thomas