Re: Debian Conference 2

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 19:27, Joe Drew wrote:
> On Sun, 2001-10-21 at 04:57, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Firstly, why limit ourselves to one conference a year?
>
> A good idea in theory, but in practice more difficult. You have to get
> people to actually organize it; preferably, people who are close to the
> action. If there are people who are willing to put together say, an
> Australian conference and an European conference and a North American
> conference (etc..), then that's fine. But it seems to me more people are
> interested in going than in doing.

I have already volunteered to give a presentation for the Debian track of
linux.conf.au, I think that James is on top of the administrative side of
things.

> > Secondly I think we should seriously consider options such as OLS.  For
> > conferences with a similar technical stand to Debian we can just have
> > several Debian developers offer presentations (and I'm sure we can get a
> > few official slots at any conference if we try hard enough).  Then we
> > publicise the Debian developers who are giving presentations and
> > encourage Debian people to attend.  If 100+ Debian people attend we can
> > then get facilities for Debian BOF's etc (as you always can if there are
> > a large number of people at a conference interested in a particular
> > sub-topic).
>
> This as well is well and good, but it will require someone to actually
> organize it with the OLS folks. It's less work certainly, but it is
> still organizing work which someone will need to do.

True.

> More or less, what I want to know now is: Am I wasting my time by trying
> to organize the conference in Toronto? (Am I being usurped by people
> who'd rather it be with OLS?) I have no trouble with that, but I'd
> rather not waste time in trying to get details from universities if
> people are just going to try to make a new conference in Ottawa, one
> which I can't organize and I can't attend.

Fair comment.

My position is that I am very likely to attend OLS next year regardless of
whether it has a Debian track.  If it has a Debian track then I'll be happy
to give a talk.

I don't think that I can make two visits to Canada in one year.  If forced to
choose between OLS and a Debian conference I would be likely to choose OLS.

However if you arrange a Debian conference immidiately before or after OLS
then I can do both in one trip...