Re: taking over gnucash packaging

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Adam Heath wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> >
> > > Since this is my first Debian package, I have a few questions.  What is
> > > the best way to handle taking over a package if the previous maintainer
> > > cannot be contacted?  I am not implying that John Goerzen is off the air,
> > > but I haven't heard from him about the package so far, and the 1.6.1
> > > package is three months old and obsolete for two months.
> >
> > A new maintainer forcibliy taking over a package from a long-standing
> > maintainer?  This doesn't sit will with me.
>
> Well, I don't really think I'm trying to force anything.  I just want to
> find out: how can I tell if the old author is really working on it, how
> can I tell if anyone else is working on it, and if neither how can I work
> on it.

So, why didn't you answer the other questions I had?  Those are the real ones
that need answering.

Again, I wonder what your real goal here is, other than trying to look good to
your buddies, by maintaining such a package for debian.

Your first thought should not be to take over a package, so you can fix the
bugs.  Your first thought should be to fix the bugs, and send the appropriate
info to the existing maintainer.

It is only after the existing maintainer has not responded for X number of
days, that you then *start* the NMU process.  Note, even at this stage, you
haven't taken the package over, only done an upload of it.