Re: X in Woody: you gotta be fscking kidding!

* Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu> [2001.10.18 14:01:25-0500]:
> > i think you messed up debconf. try
> >   dpkg-reconfigured debconf
>
> dpkg-reconfigured: command not found. Neither is dpkg-reconfigure.
> Any other suggestions?

learn how to administer a Debian system?

> Anyway, I'll just chmod/chattr the file to buggery, let's see if
> that POS manages to overwrite that. That's the kind of thing I'd
> do in windoze... congratulations, Debian!

the do it in windoze!

> > > Jeesus F. Christ... it could at least ask me if I *really* want to
> > > overwrite XF86Config-4...
> >
> > it does!
>
> And I'm pretty sure I said "no".

you have to *type* that... well, in my case it worked perfectly, never
overwrote anything - that's one of the debian strengths, so this
problem must be on your side...

> > now please watch your language a little, cause some people consider
> > things ...
> > offensive.
>
> They are welcome to killfile me. I chose the language that adequately
> conveyed my emotional state after I found out I lost my XF86Config-4,
> thanks to dexconf's half-assed attempt to be luser-friendly.

you suck!

> Besides, the fscking thing isn't even smart enough to realise that if
> xfs-tt is installed and plain xfs is not, it should not add a fontpath
> to port 7100 -- among the other things.

you are really just smart, aren't you? X is its own font server.

> So, we have a Piece Of Software, called dexconf, that
> a) is not needed,
> b) does not work, and
> c) cannot be turned off,
> all because we want lusers to be happy (according to dexconf(8)).

a) i love it. i am not going to learn the X4 syntax en plus.
b) works for me
c) shouldn't be turned off.

> Sheesh, if I wanted a luser-friendy distro I could install deadrat
> or something...

why don't you? that's exactly where the kind of folks like you reside.

i don't want to flame, but unless you watch your tongue on this list,
i see every point to treat you appropriately!

:0:
* dmaziuk@.*wisc.edu
! dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu

"there is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe,
 and it has a longer shelf life."
                                                        -- frank zappa