Re: woody is getting worse...

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:55:36AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > To throw an idea out for discussion, what about automatically upgrading
> > a bug to "serious" if it's minor/normal/important and has been reported
> > over, say, six times? [0]
> Oh, cool, so next time someone is angry with me for not prioritizing a
> bug as highly as he wants me to, he just files 5 duplicates.

Well, apparently the problem in this case was that no one noticed you
didn't prioritize a bug as highly as you ought to have. If someone had've,
they would've just mailed control@bugs.d.o to change the bug's severity;
which is a lot easier than filing five duplicates.

And in any event, if you merge them you can trivially say:

	merge 123456 123456 123458 123459 123460 123461
	severity 123456 normal

If you read the [0], you'll further note that future merges wouldn't upgrade
the bug again.

The idea is just to encourage people to actually *think* about whether
the bug should be serious or higher if it effects a whole bunch of people.

No doubt you're going to whine and say "I never said I didn't
think! Why're you putting words in my mouth?!". You're welcome to provide
the real explanation for what went wrong to cause this screw up, and, again,
how you and others are going to avoid it in future.

Or you can just complain about how life's so unfair and everyone,
especially me, is against you for another few messages before saying
anything constructive.  Whatever.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt