Re: automake 1.5

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 03:03:13PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> So, it seems likely that we need automake 1.4 uploaded again. There
> are two ways we can do this reasonable, either as automake 1:1.4 (ie,
> automake.deb, with an epoch to make sure 1.5 is replaced by the older
> version), or as automake1.4. Doing the former will work with the minimum
> of fuss, and, presumably, only leave a handful of packages broken. Doing
> the latter will require a "Provides: automake" so that the build-depends
> are remotely satisfied, but even that won't necessarily be enough to
> ensure the autobuilders use automake 1.4 instead of automake 1.5 for
> the packages that need it.
>
> I'd be inclined towards adding the epoch, and just reuploading the older
> version, and doing this "right" after woody.
>
> Comments? Problems with the above? Other issues?

I would like to suggest doing this like the autoconf issue was resolved.
E.g. make automake package provide a automake1.5 binary, depend on
automake1.4 which provides a automake1.4 binary and have a automake script
which defaults to running the /old/ automake. This way we don't have
another useless epoch and we have the current automake for development.
Drawbacks: The old automake is automatically installed as well (hmm, it's
for development, those machines tend to have enough disk space anyway).
Another drawback might be that even newly apps will use the old automake.

Just my $0.02.

	Torsten