Re: A language by any other name

Bill Wohler writes:
> Just so there is no confusion, I am not suggesting that everyone in the
> world use American English for everything.  American English should be
> used for the documentation...

That's silly.  I'm a native-born USAsian who has never resided outside the
US for any length of time and I have no difficulty whatsoever dealing with
both British and US english.  No literate person should have any trouble at
all learning a few alternate spellings.  You don't have to write it, just
read it.

> ..in a Debian system and therefore the alias for English should be en_US.

As I said before: English should be an alias for en_US in the US and for
en_GB is the UK.  Someone else suggested that you don't know where you are
it should default to the C locale.

> If a multi-billion dollar company whose employees have all learned
> British English decide that their documentation should be in
> American English, that's saying something.

But not anything relevant to this thread.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org