Re: Potato to Woody upgrade problem

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 04:35:51PM +0100, Dave Swegen wrote:
> > Since the debconf default-display-manager mechanism is now used to
> > determine which display manager runs, shouldn't wdm/Xservers contain a
> > valid server line for :0?
>
> Just uncommented the last line in /etc/X11/wdm/Xservers, and wdm ran
> perfectly well. It was the reason why wdm did nothing. So it would seem
> that postinst (or something) isn't doing the right thing).

Well, it's not quite that.  It's that postinst used to do something that
would (possibly) result in that line being uncommented.  That was how
it would resolve conflicts between xdm and wdm.  Of course, this also
necessitated that postinst edited xdm's Xservers file to comment out its
xserver line.  That's against policy (one package can't touch another's
config files).

So now we've got a nice debconf mechanism for choosing the display
manager, and all that junk about commenting and uncommenting lines is
removed.  However, the line in Xservers was commented by default to
ensure no breakage.  Nothing in the postinst script should touch that
file, the file should just contain the right value by default.

I will fix that unless Branden can supply me with some reason that it
should not be the case.  I can't imagine that there'd be one, though.

noah