Re: A language by any other name

On Thu, 2001-09-13 at 11:35, David N. Welton wrote:
> "Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@debian.org> writes:
>
> >  My bug was triggered by the fact that gdm offers a long selection
> >  of languages, among them English (without bells and whistles, just
> >  plain old "English") and in case you select that, it sets the
> >  environment variable LANG to that, "english".
>
> Maybe it should ask if you want british or american english.
>
> Trying to decide which one is 'the' English is probably a good recipe
> for a flame war with no result.

why? we know what is *the* english, the one that originated in england.
(note how the two words have the same root, eng-?) as a pratical rule, i
suggest to assign the language 'name' to the locale of the coutry that
originated it. spain for spanish, italy for italian, france for french,
etc. everybody is accepting that on other languages, don't see why the
americans should do different... :(

ciao,
federico

--