need help in resolving the Apache-Expat-XML::Parser conflict

Hi,

One of the packages I maintain is AxKit (an XML Application Server for Apache).
It depends for a part of its functionality on the latest version of Expat (via
XML::Parser).  Unfortunately, the version of Apache currently in sid is build
with its own (older!) version of Expat.  This results in segfaults when using
the newer version.

The current situation prevents the new version of AxKit to go into woody due
to two outstanding grave bugs (#100314 and #103717).  I simply cannot resolve
these satisfactorily in the current situation.

Note that AxKit recently caught attention on Debian Planet so I foresee an
increase of people trying to use it but fail (depending on what they try to
do with it).

Note als that this situation is in no way limited to AxKit.  In fact any other
software using XML::Parser will segfault when run inside Apache.  This rather
limits the use of this package in web applications written in Perl and using
mod-perl.

I've no problem NMU'ing apache, but that might break other packages (which?).
There are two ways to NMU:

1. leave out expat: this is the simplest way since it only requires a small
   change in the debian/rules file

2. build with the least version of expat (as described in bug #96093): that's
   more work given the way it's currently packaged (the upstream source are
   in tarballs which are unrolled during build)

Any help in resolving this situation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij