Re: Student Looking for A Final Year Project

On 09/07/2001 09:45:35 AM "T.Pospisek's MailLists" wrote:

>> Add versioning to debian packet management. Something like:
>>
>> # apt-get install package
>> # # damn it broke my server again!!
>> # apt-get rewind package

I'd prefer something "like CVS" so I could roll back to milestones or back
to a specific date

"apt-get make my Debian system exactly like it was when it passed my
benchmark test, several upgrades ago"

"apt-get make my Debian system exactly like it was on May 13 2001"

"apt-get roll my system back to the CVS tag "potato""

Also, integrate all files tagged as conf-files into CVS
optionally/automatically.

"apt-get roll my httpd.conf back to last working version" etc.

Add comments / CVS tags / CVS userid so you can tell the difference between
a change a package upgrade tried to automatically make (and probably
screwed up) or a change a sysadmin manually made.  And add an easy to use
shortcut command to rollback any changes a package tried to make in it's
config, like "apt-get rewind conf package".

Don't forget the obligatory GUI interface (??)

Oh, and use the features of CVS so I can remotely secure CVS into a
machine, change stuff, and it'll automatically act based solely on the CVS
commit I make, without having to log in.  So, via remote CVS I could force
an "apt-get install" of any arbitrary package.

Integrating CVS into Debian (as a core component, not just a package) would
be a long, complex, and rewarding project.