Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

Le Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 04:14:57PM -0400, Joey Hess écrivait:
> It's a hack because it has technical shortcomings which have been
> pointed out here, and which are certianly not insurmountable.

Personnaly I find the solution quite elegant considering the numerous
problems to face.

For sure, using this system we'll never have translation while doing
dpkg -I package.deb but it's not a big problem, internationalized
descriptions are important in user frontend (apt and other graphical
frontends).

> I have said nothing about what mechanism you use to make and/or store the
> translations, it's the delivery mechanism that I care about.

Using a "desc.d" directory is a pretty nice way to collect data from
various sources. Packages themselves can provide translated descriptions
by putting files in there and dh_installl10ndesc would for sure ease
that. And in the mean time the centralized server is a good way to
collect many descriptions without putting any pressure on Debian
developers. And say in one year or 6 months (or whenever the developper
thinks it's ok for him), the developer can download the translations
and integrate them in the package. Another tools could be developed
to update those translations afterward.

The update mechanism could be made to use first descriptions provided by
the package and those from the server if there is no other translation.

That way, a developer has control over the description that will be used.

BTW, Joey, whenever someone has something better rolling, you'd just
have to change dh_installl10ndesc and we'd move to it. Nice isn't it ?

Cheers,
Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com