Re: YA /[s]bin thread was Re: Who is a Debian user?

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

>[ woa, evil Mail-Followup-To you've got there -- or did you really want
>  no replies back to the list? ]

No, Just CC'd along with the list: m-c-t is apparently not the right way,
and reply-to can get munged.  We have another arbitrary situation: how do
the people that want replies CC'd to them exist peacefully with people who
don't?

>>> John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:
>
> > Okay, the "traceroute in /bin" argument has died any number of times, but
> > since the last iteration, I found out at least one anomaly that really
> > needs to be dealt with.  pidof: /bin/pidof is a symlink to
> > ../sbin/killall6.
>
> the program behaves differently depending on the name used to call it.

My complaint is more sane than the traceroute one :)  I'm sure that there
are more /sbin -> /bin symlinks, I just used pidof as an example, and they
probably all DO have different bahaviors by the name used to call it.  I'm
just thinking that before we worry about what's on either side of the
line, we ought to think about how bright the line is.  Right now, the
[s]bin dividing line is essentially arbitrary, so what should it matter
which side of the line traceroute's on?  Hell, if this thread continues,
put it back in /etc, piss EVERYONE off equally.

--
All I know is what the words know, and dead things, and that
makes a handsome little sum, with a beginning and a middle and

John Galt (galt@inconnu.isu.edu)