Re: sponsor rules

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:29:37AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > One option that seems promising to me, OTOH, may be for the installers to
> > handle lintian similarly to the way RC bugs are handled when moving packages
> > into testing: [...]

> I've thought about this too; it assumes someone running lintian over
> the entire archive on a regular basis, though, and that' snot something
> that's happened for a looong time, as far as I'm aware.

Is it more or less involved to regularly run lintian over the entire archive,
versus just running lintian against packages that are being updated?  The
reason I suggested the latter is that for the lintian results to be
meaningful, we need to be able to guarantee that the same version of lintian
was used for checking both the old and the new package, so that we can factor
out any changes to lintian itself.  I think the easiest way to achieve this is
to run lintian against old and new packages in the same run.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer