Re: Packaging a header library

On Sunday 19 August 2001 18:42, David A. Greene wrote:
> Spirit, like a lot of C++ libraries, is implemented entirely
> within header files.  What's the right way to package this
> for Debian?  It's not a "library" package in the sense that
> there aren't separate binary library archives and header
> files.  However, in the future this may be the case.
> Should I just package it as a "normal" package and just
> deal with binary libraries if they appear later (i.e.
> convert it to a library .deb)?

Could you give a URL, please ?
For your packaging-issues, try and take a look at the boost-libraries, those
are also pure template-libs.

> Spirit requires redistribution of modifications under a
> different name (maybe we have to call it spirit_debian
> or something since control files will be added?) and the
> license information may not be removed from the source
> code (there is no separate LICENSE file).  AFAIK this is
> DFSG-free.

Again, let others have a look at it, many eyes see more than two (one?
three?), otherwise your proposal seems reasonable. On the other hand, making
a package might mean simply wrapping the existing Spirit-libs, so maybe you
distribute the original in fact and no name-change is required ?

>                               -Dave

Uli