Re: permissions of tty devices

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 03:46:26PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> The latest sysvinit package complains if you run "mesg y" while the tty
> device is not group "tty".
>
> Using unix98 PTY support with devfs on kernel 2.4.6 results in pseudo-tty
> devices being created with the primary group of the user.
>
> What does devpts without devfs give on recent kernels?

$ tty
/dev/pts/1
$ ls -l `tty`
crw--w----    1 eb       tty      136,   1 Jul 31 15:52 /dev/pts/1
$ grep DEVFS_FS /boot/config-2.4.7
# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set
$ mount | grep devpts
$ uname -sr
Linux 2.4.7

devpts is mounted by /etc/init.d/devpts.sh, unchanged by me.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/