Re: nfs root for boot floppy? or initrd loaded via tftpd?

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:20:10AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:

> running root.bin (plus extras like bash and mkfs.xfs) from an nfsroot
> would have been much more convenient and easier to work with than an
> initrd - that would have allowed changing the nfsroot partition without
> rebuilding the initrd.gz and more importantly, without rebooting the
> machine i was installing debian on.

In fact, one must think about initrd just as a way to use a modular kernel
with only the needed modules to access the rootfs. In fact the initrd must
be just here to allow you to use a non-custom kernel, but a modular one, to
give it the needed modules, and then to pivot_root to the new root fs (may
be local, or remote).

At the moment we have, AFAIK, one initrd and several kernels. I think in the
future we will have one modular kernel, and a way to create minimal initrds.
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org/