Re: sendmail and/or listar oddities

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 02:17:40PM -0400, Richard A Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Bill West wrote:
>

> The log shows that listar is causing the failure - it is telling sendmail
> that the message couldn't be delivered
>
> > Jul 26 12:58:41 synergy sm-mta[1348]: f6QHvfIO001346:
> > to="|/usr/lib/listar/lista r -s test", ctladdr=<test@mail.red-raiders.com>
> > (1/0), delay=00:01:00, xdelay=00
> > :01:00, mailer=prog, pri=30424, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: prog mailer
> > (/bin/sh) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL

First time I've run into the EX_TEMPFAIL message and had no idea what it
referred to.

> Hopefully listar has some kind of log wherein you can check for a
> corresponding error message

listar's logging has, shall we say total lack of of usefull logging to
diagnose problems.

> The second two log entries are curious, are you running IPV6 ?

no IPV6 here.
Just got it figured out. It was something I was overlooking. I use the
access file in /etc/mail for spam control and after looking through the
debian list archives via www I ran across someone with an unrelated problem
but read the thread anyway. Ended up that after I added a few lines with all
possible names and IP's of my home LAN with RELAY as the action things
started flowing through listar again. Wierd part is that I've never had a
problem with the lines not being there before and the error messages I was
seeing in the logs didn't even hint to this being the problem. Simple fix
but a real booger to track down.

Thanks for your fast reply.

--

Bill West