Re: Which directory to use for packagename-doc documentation files?

On 25-Jul-01, 12:36 (CDT), Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 11:27:29AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > Both AJ and Daniel suggested that foo-doc install it's stuff into
> > /u/s/d/foo, and link from /u/s/d/foo-doc. I've two problems with this:
>
> Actually, that's not what I was getting at. I was thinking something
> more like:
[snip]

> 	foo-doc:
> 		/usr/share/doc/foo/
> 			html -> ../foo-doc/foo-html
> 		/usr/share/doc/bar/
> 			html -> ../foo-doc/bar-html
> 		/usr/share/doc/foo-doc/
> 			copyright
> 			changelog.gz
> 			foo-html/
> 				index.html
> 			bar-html/
> 				index.html
>
> All this is done in the .deb, no maintainer script hacks needed.

Ahh, I completely misunderstood. I like it. No dead links, no maintainer
scripts, everything is accessible via both foo and foo-doc. How'd you
get to be so smart?

I think this works for pretty much anyway the maintainer wants it to be. Sub-directories of different formats or whatever can be links to those subdirs. I'd
allow foo/doc->../foo-doc for the case of a bunch of text files, or even, if
it suited the maintainer, a link for each file.

Should the foo-doc package try to create/remove the
/usr/doc/foo->/usr/share/doc/foo link (since it contains the /u/s/d/foo
directory)? I think not...

> We probably ought to work out what docs actually ought to be split into
> separate packages. Man pages should probably never be split out. .txt.gz
> docs maybe don't need to be, generally. If the docs are available in
> multiple formats, maybe it'd be sensible to split all but one format out?

I'm actually not in favor of getting into this. At present, it's pretty
much at the maintainer's discretion, depending on the size of the
docs vs. total package size. I just want the docs to be consistently
accessible when the *are* installed.

Man pages are required to accompany the binary by policy, so they should
never be split.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read