Re: Which directory to use for packagename-doc documentation file s?

Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 04:24:22PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > I think my personal favorite would be that package foo contain the
> > symlink /usr/share/doc/foo/docs->../../foo-doc. I can see that others
> > might not like it though. If foo-doc isn't installed, the broken link is
> > ugly, but it's also a big hint that 'apt-get install foo-doc' might be
> > useful.
>
> Why not put the symlink in foo-doc instead of foo?

Meaning package foo-doc installs docs under /usr/share/doc/foo/ and symlinks
to them under /usr/share/doc/foo-doc ?  (I just want to be sure)

I think it's best.  No need to postinst/postrm scripts.  Just put the links in
the package.

>                                                    That way, if you've
> just got foo installed, you don't see any docs and you think "Hmmm,
> wonder if there's a foo-doc package then?", and if you've got the docs
> installed, you can just look in /usr/share/doc/foo/docs and find it.
>
> Or since "docs" is a bit redundant, maybe it'd be better to say that
> "large" HTML, .ps.gz, .pdf, etc docs should be the only things split into
> separate packages (-doc, -doc-html, whatever), and to have
> /usr/share/doc/foo/html as the symlink instead.

foo-doc might install a /usr/share/doc/foo/html directory and a
/usr/share/doc/foo-doc/html symlink that points to it.  I like it.
I think I'll use it (meaning I'll add the symlinks in my package that split
docs like this).

Might help the proposal http://bugs.debian.org/106073 along?

Thanks!
Peter