Re: Status report on python2 transition

Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> Until now I had the impression that in general it's not necessary to
> have more than one Python version on your machine at the same time
> (except perhaps you're a Python core developer). Feedback from
> python-dev though was that it's definitely necessary to allow and
> support multiple concurrent versions of Python even on production
> machines.

This doesn't imply that Debian has to support multiple concurrent
versions of Python _packages_.  To me, it means Debian should play
nicely if you want to install other versions of Python in /usr/local or
wherever.  Currently it does not.

> For one, I've changed my mind and accepted that there's a need to
> support multiple concurrent Python versions in Debian.

Woody should have one core Python package (python-base_2.1.1-X).
Extension modules should have a versioned dependency on the interpreter
(ie.  "python (= X.Y)").  Pure Python packages should only have a
dependency on "python" or perhaps "python (>= X.Y)".

  Neil