Re: script for on-disk configuration file backup

On 10-May-01, 21:13 (CDT), alburrow@cs.adelaide.edu.au wrote:
> Tomas Pospisek suggested CVS storing configuration files as you go:
>
> > Just an idea - what about dropping it into CVS?
>
> Even simpler, just use RCS on every configuration file that you edit
> by hand.

Some issues where CVS does better than RCS (or at least more
conveniently, IMO):

1. I want backups of all config files, not just the ones I
modify. Sometimes the maintainer changes the default from working to
non-working (by my standards), and it can be hard to track down (i.e.
not in the changelog). CVS deals with directory trees.

2. Better reporting. CVS makes it easy list all the changed files in the
tree.

3. CVS makes it easy to archive the files on another machine.

Of course, it's all "whatever works for you".

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read