Re: LILO

>>"Michael" == Michael Janssen (CS/MATH stud ) <janssen@chaos.cns.uni.edu> writes:

 Michael> Well, it does, and I like thew feature, but it's not entirely great.
 Michael> If you install a newer compile of the same kernel with make-kpkg,
 Michael> it overwrites your old kernel named the same version (so if you

	That is slightly misleading. It overrides the old package only
 after asking you. It stops the install and asks you if you are sure,
 and makes you move the /lib/modules/2.2.18 away. You do that, you
 *specifically* asked it to over ride things.

 Michael> install 2.2.18-2, it'll overwrite /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18 which was also
 Michael> in 2.2.18-1).  This makes /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old point to the same
 Michael> kernel, which isn't all that useful when the new kernel breaks.  I

	Hmm. There is a check in there to see of the symlink points to
 the current kernel, and it is not supposed to do the symlink
 switcheroo if it does. I'll look to see if I broke the test.

 Michael> keep a 'failsafe' kernel in my lilo.conf which points to a default
 Michael> kernel just to be safe.

	I generally have 6 entries in my lilo.conf; and only 2 of them
 are affected by new kernel-images.

 Michael> It'd be nice to see make-kpkg use the version number in it's kernel
 Michael> name, like /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18-1 and /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18-2 -- that
 Michael> would make this work correctly, but might clutter up the /boot
 Michael> directory..

	Won't help, since dpkg shall remove the old file in the first place.

        manoj
--
 He who speaks untruth goes to hell, as does he who, having done
 something, says, "I didn't do it." Men of ignoble behaviour, they