Re: script for on-disk configuration file backup

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 03:50:15PM -0400, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> The script, below, really has two functions.  One is to make a
> backup copy of any changed file in /etc.  I used "savelog" to
> keep the last few revisions of the files.  The second function
> is to keep /etc a little more tidy.  The script deletes all editor
> backup files (*~), and notifies me when there is a .dpkg-new or
> .dpkg-old copy lying about.  I run this in cron.daily, so I keep
> getting reminders until I go in and clean these up by hand.

Nice work, i'm installing it on all my machines right now.

> After running this for a few months, I've discovered that some
> packages make their own backup copies of config files.  Setserial, for
> example backs up /etc/serial.conf to /etc/.serial.conf.old.  I've
> put exceptions in to ignore the ones I've found.  The script

How about making some sym-links to those files. That why all back-up
files can be accessed from one directory. You only have to do this once,
when the target files are rotated, the symlinks will point to the
correct file.
--
	Casper Gielen
casper@huiscomputer.homeip.net, capslock2000@mailandnews.com