Re: support for older distributions

    Russell> I would like a version of Potato that is not entirely
    Russell> frozen.  It should have updates not only for security
    Russell> reasons but also for addition of new programs, and for
    Russell> adding new programs which add significant functionality
    Russell> and don't break things (such as Wichert's LDAP packages).

Another suggestion (one which you may not like, I haven't considered
it in to much detail):

Create a new Packages file for a new distribution (not sure what you
would call it) that lists stable Packages. Then once Y is convinced
that package X from {testing,unstable} runs OK, Y updates the new
Package file to include the new version of X. Any broken package
should not appear in this new distribution.

So it would be sort of like testing, only based around stable, not
unstable.

Pitfalls:

Of course, it goes without saying, that you can't copy the new package
into the new distribution until all dependencies have already been
satisfied. Including libc6 + libc6 related packages.

Also, I have not considered multiple architectures either.

Who is Y? What criteria is used?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>