Re: how to implement a renamed package

Sat, May 05, 2001 at 08:43:30PM +0200 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am maintaing the Debian package puzzle and have a problem
> with the new upstream version. The package and program has been
> renamed by upstream to tree-puzzle, because there was a conflict
> with another program named puzzle.
> I was considering to make a new package tree-puzzle which conflicts
> and replaces puzzle, but this way the users of puzzle would not get
> the automatical upgrade of this new upstream version with 'apt-get
> upgrade'.
> Thus, how can I automatically replace the package puzzle with the
> new package tree-puzzle?

This is discussed in the Developer's Reference [1]:

9.3 Replacing or renaming packages

Sometimes you made a mistake naming the package and you need to rename it. In
this case, you need to follow a two-step process. First, set your debian/control
file to replace and conflict with the obsolete name of the package (see the
Debian Policy Manual for details). Once you've uploaded that package, and the
package has moved into the archive, file a bug against ftp.debian.org asking to
remove the package with the obsolete name.

[1] : http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-archive-manip.en.html#s9.3